Room 17 Home Learning Ideas
Please find below a list of activities / ideas from Room 17’s teacher that you can complete with your child. Feel free to dip in and out of these as you wish.
If your child uses a communication system then please try to use it daily with them. If you need some advice about this then please send me an email.
- Help to make or prepare meals
- Use a knife to practice spreading, toast, crackers…
- Practice cutting toast, soft fruits/veg (using hand over hand or with very close supervision)
- Pouring – pouring liquid or dry foods from one container to another
- Help to wash and dry dishes
- Putting away dishes
- Making simple and meaningful choices (usually from a choice of two) using the objects as reference
- Reading stories together
- Interactive stories https://www.booktrust.org.uk/books-and-reading/have-some-fun/storybooks-and-games/
- Let’s talk Makaton charity page also has videos and ideas https://wetalkmakaton.org/
- Playing board games / puzzles together and practice turn taking (as well as having fun!)
Health and Wellbeing:
- Going for a walk in an open area and discussing what you see and hear along the way
- Cosmic kids yoga – a lot of episodes are on Youtube and there are greater mindfulness videos too if you need to relax
- If you have an instruments at home then play along to your child’s favourite music – if you don’t have instruments then why not make a few together, for example take a plastic bottle, fill with dried beans (or something similar) and shake!
- There’s lots of different ideas to try on this page: https://www.thebestideasforkids.com/