Room 16: Home Learning Ideas
Here are some ideas of activities children can do at home to retain and develop their skills during any school closures / holidays.
Life skills and motor skills
- Cutting fruit and veg – prepare a meal/snack, make a face with it
- Spreading with a knife – toast, crackers, sandwiches etc
- Following a simple recipe (written, read aloud or copy the adult)
- Pouring – make a cup of tea/coffee or fill a tray with rice/lentils etc and pour them into different containers
- Make play dough –
Here’s a link for a simple no-cook playdough using boiling water https://www.instructables.com/id/No-Cook-Play-Dough/
- Some pupils have been learning to knit this session
- Construction games with magnets or lego
- Tying knots and weaving, for example weaving material in fences, tying shoe laces
- Cosmic kids yoga – a lot of episodes are on Youtube and there are greater mindfulness videos too if you need to relax
- Just dance routines – again free on Youtube. Angry birds, Just Mario , Old Town Road and Ghostbusters, are firm favourites at the moment
Literacy and Numeracy
- co.uk is a free website for teachers and parents, with loads of interactive games at a variety of levels, most of which are tablet friendly, we have been using the money games and the Chinese dragon game in class
- Each pupil has a unique login for Education City, most pupils are working at early level, maybe first level. I have not assigned any specific tasks. Pupils are familiar with the website.
- For Makaton practice again on Youtube search for songs by Melody Signs or Singing Hands there is a mixture of nursery rhymes and pop songs, we tend to choose the more modern ones in class.
- Lets talk Makaton charity page also has videos and ideas
- Many pupils will benefit from colouring and drawing activities
- Typing games https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zf2f9j6/articles/z3c6tfr